We are happy to share with you our latest public BETA for our ChaosUT2:Evolution mod. There are a very large number of changes and additions in this build. Highlights for this version include;
- – a totally revamped Hoverboard (which includes our new barrel roll feature!)
- – a reworked HyperCTF gametype (you can now grab flags and score without getting off your hoverboard)
- – the personal teleporter (a feature that we haven’t included since our Q2Chaos version)
- – Rainbow Rails – a variety of colors to choose from for your rail gun and it’s firing effect (works online or offline, even switching in mid-game)
Plus a whole lot more. But first things first – The 3.8 BETA file can be found here:
Edit: this has since been updated to 3.81, which you can get on our CUT2:E downloads page.
Cal joins Chaotic Dreams –
There has been a lot of work put into this 3.8 version of the mod, and pretty much all of it coming from one person – our newest team member – CalicoZero, aka Cal. Cal is a good friend of mine, and has been hanging out here for years helping to beta test and hosting servers and just doing whatever he could to help promote the Chaotic cause. Lately though, he has delved into actual coding, and has been busy, very busy, with ChaosUT2.
I have been very impressed to see how far he has come, since he first started as a beta tester. Years ago I was assisting him through testing sessions, and now he’s releasing new builds to the mod pretty much all by himself. Though we would like to once again thank Tony the Slayer, and Azarael for their continued support and assistance.
About the Hoverboard –
- The Hoverboard now has a brand new primary weapon, the HB38. It replaces the old laser style gun, and is now a very rapid firing projectile. The model looks the same (for now?), but it has a completely new feel to it. In my opinion, it is much more satisfying to use. Feels beefy. Makes things go boom.
- There is also a fancy enhanced scope on the alternate fire key, very similar to what you see on our sniper rifle and turret cameras. It helps you to track enemies around the map, and highlights vehicles and proxies and turrets – just about anything you need to be aware of to stay alive and stay productive.
- Plus you now have the barrel roll feature. It’s a great way to show off as you fly away with your enemies flag. But, how does it work? Well, as you may or may not know, the Chaos mod has always had a ‘kick’ feature, which you can bind in your input settings. The kick has always allowed you to kick things around the map, such as other players. Well, now when riding the Hoverboard, you can ‘kick’ it into roll mode – then simply lean (strafe) left or right, do some fancy rolls, and then ‘kick’ it back out of roll mode. Neat stuff, eh? You betcha!
- But wait. There’s more. I tried to tell Cal we shouldn’t do this – that it was crazy and out of control – but there was no stopping him. With a maniacal laugh, he has reverse-engineered the Spirit Skulls of our Vengence relic, and given this power to anyone on a Hoverboard. I know, right? It’s insane. But, how does it work you ask? Well, just use your ‘drop relic’ key while riding a Hoverboard, and you will unleash a ‘heat seeking Spirit Skull’, which will automatically target any enemies in vehicles. “But, why!?”… you might be wondering. Well, hell, I dunno. Let’s say they are pissed off souls of infantry who were squashed by vehicles, looking for revenge. Yeah, that’s it. Works for me, besides, it looks really cool and it’s lots of fun.
About HyperCTF –
HyperCTF (HCTF) is a Chaotic variation of VCTF, that works in any VCTF map. But in HCTF the Hoverboard is the only vehicle in the game (it automatically replaces any vehicles in the map). In addition, all players spawn with auto-recharging rail guns, and auto-recharging Anti-Gravity Belts. The changes for this release include;
- We have changed the rules a bit. You can now grab flags and score without ever getting off your Hoverboard. It’s crazy fast. Players on foot still have their auto-recharing rail guns, and of course we have the newly revamped Hoverboard flying all over the place.
- In order to assist the infantry, we have added the Claw2 to your loadout when you spawn, pre-loaded with 6 proxy mines. There are no ammo spots in HyperCTF, so you can’t go get more, but – these proxies are equipped with their very own Anti-Gravity Belts! All the better to reach out and touch some of these Hoverboard riders.
About the Personal Teleporter –
- This is a feature we first introduced waaay back in the first version of our mod, the one from Quake 2 (which I like to call Mother Chaos). It’s a very simple feature to use and understand, but can be extremely useful and full of strategery if you are creative.
- Just bind a key for it in your Chaos binds, and then make sure you have at least ’60’ energy available on your Grav-0-Meter (that GravBelt icon/counter on your HUD), and you can place the teleporter exit (we’ve been calling it an ‘egg’ lately). Then, whenever you feel the time is right, just hit your teleporter keybind again, and you are instantly teleported back to wherever you placed the ‘egg’. And that’s it. It’s a one-at-a-time deal, so once you teleport back, the egg disappears, and you have to start over again. It does cost energy, so use it wisely. Also comes in Red/Blue flavors for team games – so you know which ones to place booby-traps (laser-mines, turrets maybe?) around and which ones to leave alone.
And that’s not all. I still haven’t mentioned everything this build covers. There are bug fixes and tweaks and so forth as well. Visit our forums for more information, including screenshots and movies.
All of this for the low low price of absolutely nothing. Just click, install, and enjoy. We hope you have fun.
And if you do give it a shot, we would love to hear what you think. So if you have bug reports, questions, comments, or suggestions – be sure to visit this forum thread –
Thank you for reading!
Oh, yeah – one more thing: we already have more ideas for our next build. So, stay tuned!